What personal information do we collect?
We ask for your personal information when you make a purchase in store, register with MyComet, sign up for promotions, offers or competitions, or to receive news, or when you fill in the personal details section of 'Your Basket' to make a purchase. Depending on which of these services you use, we may collect:
- your name and contact information including postal address, e-mail address and telephone number, even if you do not complete your purchase;
- details of any purchase orders that you place through the website, and any details we need for delivery, installation, appliance disposal, product service plan or product servicing as applicable;
- card payment details if making a purchase;
- details you provide when you contact us or make enquiries either generally or about any purchases you make with us;
- details of your visits to the website and the resources that you access; and
- information you provide if you report a problem with our website;
What we do with the personal information we collect?
Depending on how you engage with us, we may use your information:
- to facilitate your use of this website and the services available through it;
- when you purchase from us, to process your order, collect payment, enable you to track you order online, arrange delivery and for other purchase related services such as installation, disposal of your old appliance (as relevant), and product warranty (this may include contacting you by telephone, email or SMS to arrange, confirm or upgrade your delivery, installation or appliance disposal) and for ongoing customer service dealings including any faults or repairs or refunds;
- for internal accounting and regulatory purposes;
- for statistical analysis to assess our business performance and to improve our products and services;
- to improve and personalise your experience when you visit the website (See Cookies), and to keep you informed about other products and services you might be interested in (See Keeping You Informed); and
- to ask you from time to time if you would like to provide feedback on or participate in market research on our products and services. You do not have to participate in these if you do not wish.
Who do we share it with?
Please note that Comet is legally required to notify the TV Licensing Authority of any purchase you make of television receiving equipment. Please see www.tvlicensing.co.uk for more details.
If you take out an additional service plan with your purchase, Comet will share limited personal information with the service plan provider.
Comet may also disclose your personal information:
- Trusted third party suppliers providing relevant products and services related to your Comet purchases (see Keeping You Informed)
- to the police, regulators, law enforcement or other government agency where the law requires this, where appropriate to prevent or detect criminal activity, or in connection with product safety, and otherwise to relevant third parties to protect Comet, its business, staff and customers; and
- to prospective or actual buyers in the event that Comet sells any of its business or assets so help ensure continuity of your customer relationship.
Keeping You Informed
We may from time to time contact or update you about products, services or offers that may be relevant to you.
This may include delivery, installation and appliance disposal options, and extended warranties, and other products and services related to your Comet purchases, some of which are provided by Comet and some by our trusted partners to whom we may pass on your details.
We or they may contact you about these by telephone, mail, email and SMS, using the contact details you provide and update us with, which we obtain or update with you in our dealings, or which we obtain or update from external sources. This may include telephone numbers which are registered by you or others with the Telephone Preference Service unless you have told us directly that you do not wish to be contacted for this purpose on a particular telephone number. By providing your details through the website, you are agreeing to this.
If you don't want to be contacted by post or telephone you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at the address in Your Rights. If you do so, please bear with us for a short time whilst we adjust our records. This usually takes up to 28 days but we try to do it sooner.
If you don't want to be contacted by email, please change from the 'yes' to the 'no' options when you first give your details online. If you choose 'yes' you can still change your mind later, Comet's marketing emails contain an easy means for you to unsubscribe.
Please note that Comet would not necessarily remove all your details from its records but would note and respect your changed marketing preferences.
Security and Storage
Whilst we have policies, rules and measures in place and try to take all reasonable steps to safeguard your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you provide online.